Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It's a girl thing

Okay, what is it about little girls (or big girls for that matter) and clothes??? Why can't it ever be simple? The "experts" make it seem like it should be simple: "just give them a choice between two outfits" and they expect the kids to be happy to get a choice and just say "okay, I want that one" and that's it. Obviously those experts have Never been to MY house! This how it goes here: "Emma, do you want to wear this outfit? or this one?" Emma's reaction: kicking and screaming down on the floor saying: "Not those, I hate those, they're ugly! I want to wear this!" pulling out the most ratty-looking shirt and pants she can find. Honestly, I don't know why I bother to spend money on her clothes! I can be darn sure that if I buy a nicer outfit at say, Gymboree, that will be the outfit she will never wear, but if I pulled something out of the box of Alyssa's old clothes and it's something that I should have thrown away, then she will love it and wear it all the time!


It's a wonder we ever make it out of the house. When it is time to take Alyssa out to the bus stop is when she is most likely to have one of her fits about getting dressed. Half the time I would have to hold her down, kicking and screaming, and force clothing upon her body and we would walk out the door with her still screaming and the neighbors would all be standing there watching us, thinking I'm sure that "there's that crazy Mormon woman, it's a shame she can't handle her kids". I have finally given up and let Alyssa go out to the bus by herself because it's too cold to take Emma out half-dressed or in her pajamas.
It's just that we have been through the clothing issues for over 20 years now and it's getting old. Many of Jenna's 2 yo tantrums were over her wanting to dress herself. Erica would wear the strangest outfits and would never wear the cute clothes I bought her and finally at about 10 she asked me not to buy her clothes anymore. Alyssa was 4 when I had to take her shopping with me for her clothes. Unlike Emma, she always wanted the most expensive things and didn't like the cheap clothes. The smartest thing I ever did was give my teenagers a clothing allowance. They are then responsible to buy their own clothes and as long as they are modest I don't say a thing. I still have a ways to go before Emma and Alyssa are there and so the clothing battles will continue! Actually, it usually isn't much of a battle because I allow them to make their own clothing choices as long as: 1. they are clean 2. appropriate for the weather and 3. appropriate for the occasion (ie-dresses for church) which means that we take Emma out in her favorite outfit: a multi-colored striped top with stretchy flowered pants. Lovely.

I have to say though, that I have not had a single fight with my teenagers over clothing. I truly, truly believe that it is because I allowed them to express themselves starting at a very early age. I mean who am I to say that their style is wrong? Clothing is such an expression of personality and young children need to be able to express themselves (within the boundaries as mentioned before) without being made to feel that it is wrong! And so we go out and sometimes get strange looks but most people realize that it is not my choice of clothing but hers, although I do still wish she would wear some of those nicer things. Sigh! I guess I'll just sell them on consignment.


Garrett's wardrobe:


a suit, white shirt and tie for church


a pair of khakis and a polo shirt for nice casual occasions


several pairs of jeans and t-shirts


a scout shirt


along with the necessary pj's and swim trunks.


Doesn't even fill up half the closet and dresser.

So much easier than his sisters.

2 comments:

JoEllen said...

You have really had the run with girls and clothes. I have not had many problems with that. But, I am more casual, I guess, and didn't spend as much time in the south as you. Of course, most of Krystal's early clothes came from you!

Paula said...

I had to laugh when I read this. I was so glad that I only had two girls. Boys are so much easier in many different way. Hang in there Mom!