Monday, February 23, 2009

Sundays, A Day of Rest?

I'm still waiting for that day of rest thing...maybe someday but probably not! Well, maybe after church is restful on some Sundays, and I am very grateful for that.
Yesterday was a typical Sunday. I woke up in plenty of time and thought that I had a handle on things-got the crockpot going with a roast and veggies, kids got up on time, things are going well. Dave has early meetings every week but we are used to that what with 5 years as Bishop, many years with other leadership callings including high council.
And then it begins. Emma decides she doesn't want to go to church and is dressed in jeans. "I don't want to go to church! I want to stay home!" Even reminding her that she gets to give her first talk doesn't sway her. I finally get her dressed, Alyssa can't find any tights, Garrett, who has been dawdling all morning, realizes at the last minute that he can't find his white shirt. I am directing him where to look while trying to get myself ready and trying to figure out what Emma can do for her talk (oops, put that off too long). We are already late when we find the wrinkled shirt in the clean clothes basket (how long has it been in there?). He throws it on and runs out to the car. No coat and it's 28 degrees out. Meanwhile Dave has texted Diana to ask if we can feed the missionaries right after church. I look around the house with clean clothes strewn everywhere, dirty kitchen, not sure if we have enough food-nope not this week. I need more notice. We fly down the road, 10 minutes late-it takes us 25 minutes to get to church but we make it before the sacrament. Of course, Emma needs to use the bathroom halfway through the sacrament and you just don't tell a 3-year-old to wait. We are washing our hands when someone comes in and says that the priesthood is waiting for us to have the water. (We are in a branch-they notice everything) Oooops!
Sacrament meeting is pretty typical. I am alternately either a desk or a chair. Actually, Emma is getting a lot better but she still doesn't know how to whisper.
I finish the talk for Emma, and we have a presidency meeting while the kids are all in class. Then I conduct closing exercises, Emma enjoys giving her talk, and I also play the piano for singing time. At least this week I didn't have to do sharing time too like I did last week!
We are always ready to go home afterward. Dave had a meeting after church-it's a good thing I said no about feeding the missionaries. We finally make it home! I enjoy our church meetings and I like being in Primary but it always feels good to get home. Thank goodness for crockpots! We had a nice dinner, and then collapsed. The kids and I watched Masterpiece theater's version of Kidnapped while Dave went home teaching, we had a nice talk with Andrea, I finished reading my book, it was a nice relaxing afternoon and evening.
Aaaaah, Sundays!

2 comments:

MadMama said...

I love Sundays but they definetly seem the most tiring day out of the week and I only have 3 to get ready in the morning!

JoEllen said...

Sounds typical. I am usually a chair at church and my youngest is 6! I keep wondering when it will end. Enjoy it while you can!! Someday it really will be restful and you will wish the kids were back.