Sunday, September 13, 2009

Summer's Over

Okay, I've been a slacker for the last couple of months or however long it has been. I'm finally doing another blog post!
It was a very strange summer for me, being stuck in bed for a couple of months wasn't much fun and I couldn't drive until just about a month ago so I couldn't take the kids anywhere. I could, however, sit out with them at the pool. Thank Goodness we have a pool or it would have been a miserable summer for us all!
I never thought I would feel that way about a pool. I really didn't want one, it just happened to come with the house that we wanted. There were too many stories of people we knew whose child or grandchild drowned or nearly so in their backyard pool for me to feel comfortable with it. It does have a fence around it but I still get a bit nervous.
What I didn't realize is just how much we would enjoy the pool! It is great during the summer months when the kids are bored and watching too much tv. I just say "Let's go swimming!" and we head outside for hours at a time, quite often inviting a friend or two to join us. It's a great way to entertain too. A cookout and swim party is much easier than a more formal dinner party. It has been used this summer by our branch several times too: youth activities, a young women float and flick (they watched Jaws), and a primary activity.
Our children all swim really well too, except for Emma who is still learning. Last summer she wouldn't even get in the pool and screamed through her swim lessons. This summer she swam all over with her vest on and even went off the diving board and slide. The last couple of times in the pool Jenna helped her swim without the vest and she is getting it!

Here are some of our favorite swim pictures from this summer:



2 comments:

Stephanie Evans said...

I'm glad you left a comment! I feel like blogging is the only way I can stay up on our family and friend's lives. :) How fun to live in Boston. We have a goal of visiting there before it's time to move again so we might just take you up on that offer :) I know not many consider Buffalo a fun place to visit, but in case you do, you're welcome to stay with us!

Yahnira Backus a.k.a. "Mommy" said...

I can't get over how much the kids have grown!! I really miss you and the family. Thanks for posting an update and for all the pics!! I REALLY need to figure out how to do that. :)