Monday, November 24, 2008

Simple Errand?

So I needed to get the oil changed in the car today. A simple errand, right? Nope! Not with a 3 year old in tow. Especially my 3 year old. Just getting out to the car is a major event! Just getting dressed is filled with drama. Today it was over socks, finding the right ones, and the fact that I dribbled one drop of water on her sweater, causing her to change her sweater despite my assertions that it'll dry in just a minute! Then we have to get in the car. I have learned that she has to be the one to close the door to the house so we made it over that hurdle but I didn't know that she would be mad about me opening the car door. Once inside I had to convince her to buckle in and then we could finally leave. We made it there safely although she did unbuckle the seat belt once. At first, the guy at the shop said it would take 2-2 1/2 hours to work on my car but after reviewing my records said that it would only be an hour. Whew!!! I knew I wouldn't have survived that long! So with a little bit of embarrassment due to the condition of my car (smashed crackers, several coats, shoes, tights, toys, and lots of trash) we handed over the keys and headed to the waiting room. She actually did quite well in the waiting room thanks to the tv, toys, and oh, yes, the vending machine. What is it about vending machines that gets kids all excited? I guess putting the coins in and getting a treat out is pretty neat. Come to think of it, vending machines get me a little excited too. Anyhow, the doritoes and poptarts were a life saver for me today. Not sure how Honda will feel with all the crumbs we left behind. But hey! at least she wasn't screaming! Now I can only hope that all those carbs make her sleepy...

No comments: