Sunday, May 24, 2009

Reviving My Brain

I realized when I had my surgery that I would have a lot of free time this summer, in fact I knew that I would get pretty dang bored and I don't handle boredom well. When I originally fell and broke my ankle, the injury was pretty traumatic and so I was kept on a lot of pain medication and was in the twilight zone for a long time. This time I feel good, better even than before my surgery which is making this enforced bed rest, or almost bed rest, very tedious indeed. I have a lot of books to read for my book blog, in fact there are 8 sitting up in my room right now, but even I can't read all the time. I have watched more tv than I want and even then it's not that much. Most tv is pretty boring however I am thrilled that So You Think You Can Dance (SYTYCD for those in the know) has started! It's great that I can use Andrea's laptop and facebook is fun but just doesn't take up that much time. I have been watching things on Netflix and that's been good too but none of that (except my book blog) has any real purpose. Life has to have purpose or it is meaningless!
So, realizing that I would feel that way, I signed up for some online, non-credit courses. I have been feeling like I would like to earn a little money at home sometime and have been considering my options, and have tailored my online classes to that purpose. Right now I am taking classes in Web Design, Anatomy and Physiology (in case I want to do medical transcription) and Computers for the Workplace-yes, I know that's not a home business sort of class but I thought it would be a good overview of computers since I have NEVER taken any sort of computer course.
I am finding that I like the web design class the best. The computer class is really basic so far and I find that I know more about computers than I had realized and the Anatomy class is probably my most challenging because I forgot all that stuff long ago, but really I like the web design because I can actually do something with it, right now, today. It has Purpose, and so do I!
We have to do a website as part of the class (makes sense, doesn't it?) and I would like to do a family website, but not for sharing with the teachers and the class, so I have decided to do a web site entitled "Heart of the Home" and put our family's favorite recipes on it. I am sure you all are just dying to see it but I haven't started it yet. Once I do I will let you all know and then you can help critique it, and contribute if you so desire. Should be fun!

2 comments:

Paula said...

Kudos to you for having purpose in your forced laying around. I hope you are progressing nicely.

JoEllen said...

Cool! I am glad that you found some things to give you purpose. Although, I found that reading was good for me when I broke my leg because I almost never read any more--I ignore everything to read and that is not good.

I am glad that you are feeling so good. My father-in-law is 6 months out from his surgery and feeling much better and able to walk around the park. I think that you will heal much faster than he has.

Can't wait for your website!